Saturday, April 18, 2009

Chuck Klosterman

"Led Zeppelin sounds like the way a cool guy acts. Or--more specifically --Led Zeppelin sounds like a certain kind of cool guy; they sound like the kind of cool guy every man vaguely thinks he has the potential to be, if just a few things about the world were somehow different. And the experience this creates is unique to Led Zeppelin because its manifestation is entirely sonic: There is a point in your life when you hear songs like "The Ocean" and "Out on the Tiles" and "Kashmir," and you suddenly find yourself feeling like these songs are actively making you into the person you want to be."

Klosterman tends to write many things I find myself agreeing with, but this side rant about Led Zeppelin in Killing Yourself To Live probably explains my entire music listening experience. For me, it was more of "Dancing Days" and "D'yer Mak'er," and just about every other song that makes you feel cool while hearing it. Klosterman has been the only author on my reading list this year. Reading him somehow makes me feel like I might understand, for some reason, just a little bit more of what it's like to be a rock star. Even though he's not even a musician, he just writes about them for Spin Magazine. But still, were obviously soul mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment